Wednesday 31 July 2024

#82 Maybe Not Tonight + Writing to Music

Happy Blog Day Everyone!

This week is a slow writing week (well, sort of) so I'm finally getting that music and writing piece out there! Before we can start jamming though, let's catch up on Brennan and Riz!

The Comic Tales of Brennan and Riz




As promised, not a continous tale this week! Not sure why I drew Riz as a superhero but it is something that the rat would completely do. Hope it was a good movie marathon...

Seeing the issue number though, is a sobering thought as that means eighteen more weeks till the magic one hundred, which should happen at some point in December. No ideas yet on what I'll do for such a momentous occasion, especially with it coming just before the two year anniversary of the strip.

Daemon Soul Update

The changes as requested by the editor have been approved! Which means that the editing phase is imminent! I've already been thinking of plans in the run up to publication, maybe a return to the fact files of ye olde times (things I made for fun back in 2007 and added to in 08 and 09). This time though, only fair I shine a light on Gabriel’s minions...speaking of which, the next Short Diversions will be about them.

Writing to Music

It's been a long time since I last put words to thoughts on this topic (wrote this blog about it back in the day, but I recently looked back on it and found it quite different than I remembered writing!), so I thought best to tackle the subject again, so here it goes!

Music and writing seem destined to go together.

I don't mean in the sense that you have to write music but that the two share a connection, which I think is that they both want to draw out emotions from the reader/listener, thus they compliment each other wonderfully. I know a lot of authors offer playlists that go with their stories (and would probably be featured in a motion picture adaptation!) I'm no different of course, one of the talented authors who take part in the Malarkey's Imaginomnibus anthologies with me does their own radio show and has played songs that inspired stories in each anthology we'd done. This leads us to the point where chosing that stories theme, is serious business!

For clarity's sake, I didn't actually have a song for my first Malarkey story, instead I substituted a Gabriel song (until recently, it was the only song I had for him!) That being Ginme the Prize by Queen. My second story, the last job, was written around Fade to Grey by Visage. The third was !Viva la Gloria¡ (little girl) by Green Day. The fourth...is still under wraps but it had greatly influenced the story and it's that aspect that made me want to write this today.

Unless I'm writing at night when everyone is asleep and I have to be quiet, there is always music when I'm creating. If I'm not writing but there's still music and I'm idling, then you can bet I'm treating those songs like music videos in my imagination. Should point out it's only certain songs that I do this with, as they have to fit what I'm thinking about first. This is how I come to associate certain songs with my stories. It's why I see songs like Soil's Redefine as an anime like opening for Daemon Soul 2, or how Ginme the Prize ended up with Gabriel. Sometimes I'll become so enamoured with a song that I'll try to put homages to the lyrics within the writing (this has happened a few times) . To put it simply, I allow the music to influence the writing.

I could go on but I think you all get the idea here. I'll share more about what particular songs inspired my work next time, whenever it may be that I return to the subject, as there's a few to go through, and a whole lot more to discover!

I'll leave it there for now though and ask:
"What music does your writing made you think of?"

Till next time,

Keep on writing!

Peter James Martin

Quick Links







No comments:

Post a Comment