Wednesday, 29 July 2026

#186 Riz’s Holiday Part I and Short Diversions: Avalon Tales Chapter 11

Happy Blog Day Everyone!

Chapter 11 is here and live!

Isabelle is face to face with a strange man, what secrets does he hold?

There's not much else to talk about as...
I'm on holiday! Yup, I'm actually writing this a few days before this'll get posted, but there's still so much to do!

Looks like I'm not the only one going on holiday...

The Comic Tales of Brennan and Riz


Yup, Riz is going on holiday! Is it really going to turn out like his dreams though? Guess we'll find out next week...not that it'll be hard to say what the outcome is.

Short Diversions: Avalon Tales Chapter 11

Last time, Isabelle encountered a mysterious prisoner, held deep in the nest. What link does he share with the demons that have imprisoned him? Is there any secrets he's willing to share?

Read on to find out...

Avalon Tales Chapter Index












Chapter 11

----------
Chapter 11: The Fisher King

     “W-who are you?” Isabelle asked in shock, the transition from her dream to reality had left more disorientated than she would have liked. she let her eyes wander about the person in front of her. He was sitting calmly enough, his legs folded, with chains holding him still.
     “If I were to tell you my true name, that may endanger you more than you know, so just use the name they gave me, Fisher King, and I’m someone stuck in between two worlds.” In the process of answering one question, he had confused her more.
     “What do you mean by that?” Isabelle walked cautiously closer, wanting to get a better look at the individual before her. Aside from her previous observations, she now noted the way he had one of his arms wrapped around his own chest, and the tell-tale sign of a blood stain on the rags that had been used to dress him. He also couldn’t seem to hold eye contact for too long, as every time their eyes met, he would hold it for a few minutes or so, before looking down or at the palm of his hand. 
     “That I should not be here, neither of us should be here, yet here we are,” The prisoner replied.
     “I shouldn’t be here?” Isabelle raised an eyebrow at the curious way he said it. The obvious interpretation was that he meant she shouldn’t have been in the demon’s base, which was a fair point. Yet, she somehow wouldn’t believe him if he did say that was the reason. She felt odd in his presence, and it was hard for her to put a finger on exactly why. Was it the way he spoke, a tone that was alluring but also calming at the same time, or was it the aura he seemed to possess that eased the stress the mission so far had placed on her shoulders
     “You know why, and I can sense the burden you are carrying. Tell me, you are here to retrieve the grail aren’t you?” The Fisher King enquired, leaving no room for any ambiguities.
     “That is one of my mission parameters, yes. What do you know of the Holy Grail?” As time drew on, Isabelle felt a lot of her initial shock wearing off, she was quickly reminded that she had her mission that she should be tending to, though how best to achieve it was lost to her. 
     “I was dragged here because of it, my sin bearing fruit even after all these years.”
Because of it? Did you have something to do with its creation? Are you part of Avalon?” 
     “In a way, I was, but our paths diverged long ago. You bear their crest on your uniform, I see, then this place is not safe for you.”
     “I’m not leaving until I return the grail to where it should be, and till all threats are neutralised,” Isabelle said bluntly, her scar started throbbing again, not as violently as before when she was face to face with the giant, but just enough to tell her that danger was on its way. She held a hand up to the Fisher King, to silence him while she strained her ears, hearing the far off sound of marching.
     “They are making their move tonight. I hear them talking, I do not know if they say what they say to taunt me or if they do not care that I’m here,” the Fisher King stated.           “They often speak of their night of vengeance on the man who humiliated them, the one who stands against their might. Every action they have taken is to serve this purpose, and more.”
     Isabelle knew who he was talking about, there couldn’t have been anyone else.
     “Dad,” she muttered, and realising that time was of the essence, she sharpened her line of questioning.
     “Do you know where they took the Grail?” She inspected the bars in front of her more closely, noticing that when they were constructed, if you could use that word, then whoever was the architect of the cells did a lackluster job. The steel that made up the bars had been forced into place leaving stress marks all over. Clearly nothing of great strength was to be put in these cells.
     “I cannot be certain, but when they brought it to me to verify, they were dragging it along the floor.” He gestured down at the ground, where scratch marks were engraved from whatever had been dragged on it. They started at the cell then ran off into the darkness of the other corridors, showing that it had been dragged away the route it came from.
     “Right, you are going to come with me,” Isabelle said decisively, activating her swords cutting blade.
     “I will be a burden to you,” The Fisher King removed his hand, revealing a wound in his side, even through the rags he was clad in, Isabelle could see that it was serious.
     “Did they do this to you?” She asked in response.
     “No, I've had this affliction for some time now, it is why I stepped back from your world.”
     Isabelle thought for a moment, then recalled what Rei had told her about the Holy Grail.
     “The Holy Grail, I could use that to heal you-”
     “That will not work, I'm afraid,” The Fisher King interrupted. “It was not meant for me. Even if it was, that is not its purpose.”
     “I can't leave you here,” Isabelle said, aware that there was demons inbound.
     “You must, let me by and get yourself to safety. My place in this tale has passed.”
Isabelle turned away from him, seemingly obeying his instructions, but instead, she turned and with two slashes, cut a hole in the steel bars with the energised prototype Saviour Blade.
     “You may be unable to fight, but I made an oath to protect. Leaving you here would be breaking that,” she said softly. “I still have questions for you but this isn't the time nor the place. Instead, I'll create a diversion for you, so you can get yourself to safety.”
     “I made the right decision then.. “ the Fisher King said quietly to himself. His words not coming out any louder than a whisper. At first, Isabelle wasn't sure if she'd heard correctly. It was then that she realised that she'd heard his voice before.
     
     “Your voice...” Isabelle said confused, but before her brain could connect the dots, several demons arrived, walking as stiff and robotic as all the others. Ostensibly, this cut their conversation short. Still, remembering what she had sworn, she put herself between the Fisher King and the demons. “I’ll add that to the list of questions I’ve already got for you. For now though, I’ll just have to hold onto that. My duty can not wait any longer.” Isabelle swung her sword round, goading the demons into a fight.
     The Fisher King looked down in dismay, mumbling something softly as he did:
     “I see, the same as it was then. You are much like her.”
     Isabelle heard it and risked a glance back, only to see that the Fisher King was gone.
     “Where-” She started to say, but she had a feeling he wasn't going to reappear to offer an answer so focused on the tasks at hand. These demons blocking her path were just road bumps to plow through. She charged in…

----------

Next Chapter (not live yet!)

Right, that's your lot for this week!

I've got a holiday to enjoy, and I hope everyone out there is having a good time to! In the next post it'll be the third part of my Plot Thickens writing experiment, and maybe, just maybe, the hope of actually getting some writing in!

A guy can dream, can't I?

Till next time,

Keep on writing!

Peter James Martin

Quick Links




No comments:

Post a Comment