Wednesday 8 November 2023

#44 Sock It To Him + Nanowoemo

 Happy Blog Day Everyone!

Today was supposed to be a meagre update post...then I ended up rebooting my NanoWriMo story on Saturday so I'm going to talk about that instead! Before that  let's see what Brennan and Riz are getting up to in their Comic Tales!

The Comic Tales of Brennan and Riz


I can't make my mind up if I like this one or not, a very daft idea given flesh here. The next minj arc will be starting soon, if I have everything worked out right!

Nanowrimo Word Count

Following on from last week's rather small amount, this week, my word count for Nanowrimo is...12778 words! I'm right on track for where I should be...which is lucky as you'll see below.

Nanowoemo

So...Saturday night. I was busy trying to get my words in for Nano when I hit one of the many stumbling blocks...I didn't care for what I was writing. 

Let's be a bit more specific here. 

By that I don't mean that I wanted to change from writing Avalon Tales, as that wasn't in doubt, it just the plot I'd developed for it...wasn't working. Turns out the plot I'd planned was not really the best fit for the word length I was looking at (30-40k). As I've not written many novellas, (the only one I have done, hasn't even been published yet...if ever), so I seemingly forgot one of the key tenets about writing, the shorter the length, the closer you have to start at the point.

Till this moment, I'd found the writing to be a slog, and it does show when I look back at the chapter I was working on at the time. The pace was dragging and the characters were bland. I tried to persevere but it took me about half an hour to write ten words. I knew I had to do something.

That something? Completely ditch the plot I was working from, redoing a lot of the characters. I was also looking at the earlier research I'd put together, and this 'change' allowed me to correct some oversights I made earlier on. Can't say which character this refers to yet but it has had a big impact.

So Sunday rolls round and I try to put words on the page. Given my decision, and I start a completely new chapter (I aimed it to be atca similar place plot wise...I'm going to have a lot of fun with editing this story). I implemented all the changes so certain characters are much different in their characterisation. I did twenty two thousand words that night in one go. Don't think I need to tell you how well that went.

Will this be the first and last time I have to do this (talking about during Nano of course...I'm constantly restarting short stories these days!)? Well, that remains to be seen...

Thats all for now, a lighter affair next week I'm sure.

Till then,

Keep on writing!

Peter James Martin

Quick Links

The Strange Tales of Brennan and Riz Volume 1

The Strange Tales of Brennan and Riz Book 1: A Boy and A Rat

The Strange Tales of Brennan and Riz Volume 2

Malarkey's Imaginomnibus Volume 1

Malarkey's Imaginomnibus Fade to Noir

Malarkey's Imaginomnibus Hubble Bubble

Harvey Duckman Presents Volume 13



No comments:

Post a Comment