Wednesday 5 April 2023

#13 Who Wouldn't Want One + More Short Story Writing!

 Happy Blog Day Everyone!


Another week has gone by, I'm wondering if something is gobbling all the time up as it certainly doesn't feel like 13 weeks have gone by since I restarted the blog!

Regrettably, it is another short one, as I'm in the middle of writing up a guest blog in my indomitable style and there's no new releases on the horizon for a while yet...

Still, you do have a brand new comic to slightly entertain you!

The Comic Tales of Brennan and Riz



It's only now that I look back and realise that I missed a trick by not having the giant rat be completely golden, next time maybe. I still feel like the Comic has yet to find it's feet but what do you think? 

Anyway, moving on!

More Short Story Writing

Work continues apace on my current short story, and wouldn't you know it, I've rewrote it 3 times now! Let me explain my process For my moment.

When I'm writing an idea, I'd normally take it to completion, wanting to get the skeleton down, and then I'd make my changes, like a sculptor with a block of stone. Sometimes however, I can't do that. To continue my sculptor analogy, I'd chiselled too far then what I'd needed, rendering the whole project worthless. It's times like that I resort to the early edit, erasing wholesale words that I'd just literally put to page. I've gotten better at identifying when this feeling will hit, normally when the words aren't inspiring anything but spite.

In this case however, I didn't engage in a full annihilation of the story (which I have done. Kill your darlings? I've committed mass word murder) rather, I'd reframed it. Changing the tone slightly, while trying to reinforce the themes, something I'll do again once it's finished. This has left me well under the half way point, but I'm trying not to rush this.

One thing I'm also aware of, is that this will be the 2nd Daemon Soul (if I hadn't mentioned this already, then yeah, it's connected to this particular story of mine) story set in the 80s, following on from a short I wrote a year or so again. One that was ironically based off a song (two songs technically). I do wonder if I have any more in me for a future 80s anthology! Not that anyone would read that... Would they?

Anyway, that's all for this week. Hopefully I can reach the half way point next week but till then,

Keep writing.


Peter James Martin


Links

The Strange Tales of Brennan and Riz Volume 1

The Strange Tales of Brennan and Riz Book 1: A Boy and A Rat 

The Strange Tales of Brennan and Riz Volume 2

Malarkey's Imaginomnibus Volume 1


No comments:

Post a Comment