Wednesday 28 June 2023

#25 Not What You Want + Updates

 Happy Blog Day Everyone!


Not much to talk about today, so it'll be a short one!


Without further ado...


The Comic Tales of Brennan and Riz



Here it is, the start of perhaps the biggest experiment for the Comic strip...Continuity!

I've spoke about Continuity a few weeks back on the writing side of things but so far, it was something that never came up with the strips (by design). However, with this week marking the 25th consecutive week that the Comic has appeared, I felt like I needed to do something, so what better than a ongoing storyline!


I've not settled on how many parts this will consist of, but I'm hoping for about 3-4. It'll also mark the first appearance in the comic of a certain someone...

There's some teething issues with this approach so please bear with me.


Phantom Dawn: Memories of a Rose


Time for more fun with Rose as the mysterious Phantom Dawn event brings with it an dangerous problem....


(First posted April 4th 2021)

The ground nearby swelled and cracked like an egg, and the old man panicked:

"Run! The Phantom Dawn has triggered a #hunt!" He grabbed his curious little porcine creatures. The young woman was confused but saw the urgency when the creature roared.




(First posted April 5th 2021)

The young woman ran for her life, but something seemed wrong, like she only moved in slow motion. The beast caught up and went to slam its massive tail in to her, aiming to smash her like an #egg. She became a deer caught in headlights.



(First posted April 6th 2021)

The old man couldn't stand to look as the monster's tail connected with the young woman, the force of the impact threatening to blow his #basket weave hat off his head. However the woman still stood. Her eyes now empty of all but one thing. Rage.



(First posted April 7th 2021)

The young woman, #whose appearance belied the maelstrom of power that had lain hidden behind her crystal blue eyes, launched into the air. The monster reared up to meet her head on. Under the bale gaze of the Phantom Dawn, the two clashed.



(First posted April 8th 2021)

The old man watched the scene unfold. With the elegance of a #bird, but the strength of a charging rhino, the young woman attacked the monster. Every blow sounded like thunder. She spared its life so it could slink away in disgrace, its head bowed.


(First posted April 9th 2021)

As the old man hesitantly approached, the young woman's picture of innocence returned, her eyes regaining their expression. She collapsed to her knees, unsure what to feel after everything that had happened, confused even more about herself.


(First posted April 10th 2021)

The little porcine creature stretched like a #hippopotamus and rubbed against the young woman's leg, wanting to offer comfort, causing her to smile gently.
The old man sighed.
"Knew you'd be special, seeing as you fell out of the sky and all."





(First posted April 11th 2021)

"I fell out of the sky?" The young woman asked. The old man nodded.
"Would be far better if I had a name to call you by," he added.
The young woman racked her brain but there was only one image that was constant.
"Call me, Rose," she announced.





(First posted April 12th 2021)

Rose and Neal, the old man, both stared up at the Phantom Dawn phenomenon.
"Where do I go from here?" Rose asked. "I don't know who or what I am. I'm still in #free fall."
"All in good time. We'll find the answers. I promise you," Neal replied.

Elsewhere though, a dark portal appeared. It's shimmering oil like appearance reflecting a thousand cruelties and torments unknown.
Menace leaked #freely through it, as shadows began moving closer to the threshold...





Whew! That's the end of that mini arc! You'll have to wait till next week to see who steps through that particular portal!

Update

So now we move onto the shortest part of this blog, an update of things as they are at the moment. I've submitted my manuscript to Harvey Duckman Presents for a hopeful submission to HDP 14 but...I'm doubtful, only now in the 11th hour have I realised a better story idea was right in front of my face. The other idea I worked on will probably form the core of a book, though not the first one as it better serves as something that people will be familiar with.

Other than that, Avalon Tales progresses smoothly, and I'll but putting parts of it out there on twitter for the world to see (and judge).

I've also had a breakthrough with one of my Brennan and Riz stories, the Redcar one. A moment of clarity provided a better narrative structure for the tale that still does everything I want. Not sure when I'll get to work on that one, but hopefully soon.

I mean, I've still got a steampunk one to do!

So that's the long and short of it at the moment. Hopefully there will be more to talk about next week.

Till then,
Keep on writing!

Peter James Martin

Quick Links










No comments:

Post a Comment