Wednesday 22 March 2023

#11 Why Don't They Always Do This + Further Thoughts on Short Story Writing

 Happy Blog Day Everyone! 


Let's kick things off with our favourite duo in comic form:


The Comic Tales of Brennan and Riz



I've had this idea in my head for a while now, still not satisfied with how it came out but then again, I'm never satisfied! Definitely one that may see a redo down the line.


Further Thoughts on Short Story Writing


So, after last week's Blog post on Brennan and Riz Volume 2 (Click here to get it!), I was musing what I should waffle on about today, when by a curious combination of luck, I started work on a brand new short story, which got me thinking about the process...


Usually with writing, I'll often have an idea to start with, a spark. In Brennan and Riz's case, this was often Brennan and Riz do X or they meet X etc etc. This time, I had no idea (as I'm writing this in the past tense, it may be worth pointing out that this isn't a barrier depending on your writing style). I had a prompt to work with, which is better then when I'm given a deadline and just told 'write something', as having the freedom to write absolutely everything, can be extremely daunting at times.

With prompt in hand, I spent a while throwing it around my head, seeing what came to mind first, and what came first? A song.

I've touched upon the idea of music and writing before and with most of my non-Brennan and Riz work (the process doesn't really work with them, and I'm not sure why). This was the key to unlocking what I'd eventually start writing. 

After a fair few plays of the song, and thinking back over on the prompt, the idea was starting to coalesce, and it attached itself to one of my established writing universes (despite this universe only seeing two published short stories attached to it so far). This worked out really well as I'd been itching to write one particular character, though he would take somewhat of a backseat as I began outlining the plot. I'm not saying he's been removed from the story entirely, just the perspective has shifted, and he's back in the shadows as he should be, fitting the time and with who else appears in the story.

This is sort of what I love about writing shorts, how fast the idea can change from that initial spark, characters having their roles changed or their allegiances shifted in an instant. Big form novels have their place as well of course, but it's a lot harder to change direction with them once they've gotten underway, not without needing significant rewrites of course...like with what happened with A Boy and A Rat, but I digress...

So, yeah, the outline was finalised...somewhat, as I said things can change quickly if an idea isn't working! I turned to writing the actual story...and ran into the stumbling block of important first words...ah, my life as a writer.

I'll leave it there for now, I'll provide updates on this story as I progress with, I have a somewhat gracious timeline to have it done by, but of course I have other projects calling my name...

Till then,

Keep on writing!

Peter James Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment